Question:
Would it be a weird idea to honor my dads birthday at my wedding?
Beffy
2007-02-03 11:49:20 UTC
My wedding is the day before my dad's 60th birthday. I really wanted to say something to him in honor of his birthday when everyone is giving their wedding speeches. A lot of people say that your wedding day is all about the bride and the groom but my dad has done so much for me and I want to make sure hes not forgotten. Any ideas of something special I can do for him on that day? Or is this a weird idea?
Sixteen answers:
Veronica W
2007-02-03 13:12:48 UTC
My father's birthday was the day before my wedding too! Instead of acknowledging him at our wedding, we surprised him the day before our rehearsal with a birthday dinner where we presented him with gifts. Then the next day at our rehearsal dinner (his actual birthday), we surprised him again with a birthday cake specially decorated for him. He was so surprised. I think he felt a lot more comfortable celebrating his birthday with his close family and friends rather then all of our guests at our wedding. I would recommend having a special birthday celebration for him prior to your wedding, this way it is more special and intimate. You could still acknowledge his birthday at your reception if you'd like and maybe have your guests sing happy birthday to him.
2016-03-29 07:14:50 UTC
You've gotten some really good ideas here, but I agree with those who suggest a more "toned down" approach. The more obvious and direct it is, the more it has the potential to make people sad or, even worse, uncomfortable. I was at a wedding once where they had 2 chairs left empty in the front for the grooms mom and the bride's dad. It was, to be blunt, horrible. I do not think there should be mention of them on the programs. However, I do think each of them could do a BRIEF toast to their missing parent at the reception, or even something like "Dad, I know you're watching right now and I love you and miss you". But please keep it brief. You don't want a roomful of sobbing people and I've seen this, as well.
comet girl...DUCK!
2007-02-03 11:59:22 UTC
Honey, it's your day -- do whatever makes you happy. I think it is a wonderful and very thoughtful idea to honor your dad. How 'bout a simple toast to dad? Or maybe after you've cut the wedding cake you could have the caterers bring out a birthday cake for your dad? Or have a special dance with him to his favorite song. The sky's the limit. Use your imagination and above all, have fun.
2007-02-03 14:22:15 UTC
I think it is a wonderful idea!!Remember this is your wedding and you can do whatever you want!!No one can tell you different.My dad passed away 3 months after he turned 60,he never got to meet his first grandson nor will he get to see my wedding as his only daughter.I also lost my stepdad of 18 years 10 months ago and I tell you if I would have had them at my wedding I would say something wondeful about them anyways.Dads are awesome,go ahead and wish him a happy 60th!He deserves it,he has a wonderful daughter like you!
kateqd30
2007-02-03 13:35:05 UTC
I think its a great idea. Maybe you could do something before your dance with him. Or instead of a grooms cake you could have a birthday cake for him and after you cut yours you can sing happy birthday to your dad. You could have alot of fun with this and surprise him!

This past summer my best friend got married and she didnt want to do the bouquet toss. So instead she did the anniversary dance and as it turned out (we knew ahead of time) the people who would be married the longest would be celebrating their anniversary on the same day. So when it was just the wto of them left they had their own personal dance and at the end she gave her bouquet to them. It was really neat. And even more refreshing that the newlyweds made a part of their day special for another couple.

Go for it!
Etiquette Gal
2007-02-03 14:33:41 UTC
It's not weird at all. Surprise Dad by having the caterers wheel out a lit cake and having everyone sing to him. The wedding day is NOT all about the bride and groom-- only vain bridezillas say that. It's all about being considerate to everyone around you, and being gracious hosts.
Savvy Sue
2007-02-03 11:56:18 UTC
Of course you should take a moment to honor your dad! It's not the LEAST bit weird. It's loving and unselfish. Maybe the band can play Happy Birthday after you make a little toast to him. Best wishes!!!
2007-02-03 20:47:59 UTC
I don't think it would be out of order to honor him on your day. Maybe both of you can give a small toast honoring your parents and thanking everyone for coming and that's when you can mention now you two have two great events to celebrate around that time.
Dawn S
2007-02-03 13:50:30 UTC
I don't think it's weird at all. We got married on my matron of honor's birthday. I gave a little speech about her and asked everyone at the reception to sing "Happy Birthday" to her.

It was great!
2007-02-03 11:59:36 UTC
I don`t think its a weird idea at all. Its a great idea. I don`t have any suggestions on how to do it though. Just make sure its okay with the groom too.

Congratulations!
EMMAS' CUTE_NESS
2007-02-03 11:54:28 UTC
in your speech say that this day is also in celebration of the man that has always been there for you and helped you to be the person you are and without him you would not be the person you are today. no it is not weird. it means you love him. it is sweet.
2007-02-03 11:57:13 UTC
Though he would be honored, this is your day and your bride's day. You don't want to start off your marriage by bringing your dad's birthday into it. Keep it all about yourselves.
Shelley
2007-02-03 11:57:14 UTC
I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to honor your father. After all, it is "your" day and if would like to honor him it is appropriate. Congratulations!
Lydia
2007-02-03 14:05:59 UTC
I would say it's okay to just make mention of it when you are giving your thank you speech - that's where it would be most appropriate.
basketcase88
2007-02-03 12:50:41 UTC
It's a wonderful idea, just make sure your spouse is aware of your plans, and agrees.
alwaysmoose
2007-02-03 11:53:29 UTC
I think he understands it's your day. Don't feel obligated to honor him.